The Pacific Northwest Tour – Week 4
Today marks the end of the four weeks on the road in the Pacific Northwest tour and we’ve had some amazing fun between Salt Lake City and Portland.
What I’ve been up to…
Lots of driving this week… but the scenery was stunning.
- 1 day from Salt Lake City to Craters of the Moon: We exited SLC and plodded our way to Craters with several geocaching stops as well as a resupply run.
- 3 days at Craters of the Moon: A delightful, if overlooked, park. Stunning geology and scenery. We also took a side-trip to the Experimental Breeder Reactor Museum in Arco for George’s amusement.
- 2 days driving to Silver Falls State Park in Oregon: The stretch from Craters to Silver Falls was long and slow but our reward was a stunning park to set up camp and some fun geocaches along the way.
- 1 day in Portland: Our first true day exploring Oregon took us to Portland for an REI run, food trucks, and the Japanese Gardens.
By the numbers…
- Total Days on the Road: 7 (28 total)
- Miles this Week: 1,160 (4,540 total)
- States this Week: 3 (UT, ID, OR) for 14 total
- National Parks & Lands visited this week: 1 (Craters of the Moon) plus driving and geocaching through gobs of National Forest lands.
- State Parks visited: 1 (Silver Falls State Park in OR)
- Instagrams: 22 (90 total)
- Time Zone Changes: 1 (6 total)
- Nights in Hotel: 1 (8 total)
- Nights Camping: 6 (20 total)
- Geocaches: 11 (16 total)
- Oil Changes: 1
- Continental Divide crossings: 0 (3 total)
Highlights in Instagrams…
We left Salt Lake City for the incredible Craters of the Moon.
Caves and lava and wind… oh my!
I was a total macro photography nerd for the scrappy little flowers at Craters of the Moon.
Chemistry nerd George wanted to visit the Experimental Breeder Reactor near Arco, Idaho.
Geocaching, history, and local flavor in Arco, Idaho.
I’m always waving my geocaching pom-poms. This is why. We discovered this cool ghost town thanks to a geocache. We would have driven by otherwise.
Just a sampling of Craters of the Moon. Well worth a visit, by the way. It’s a stunning place.
I was a geocaching slacker before the boys caught up with me in Denver. George made sure we got our groove on with stops on the drive from Craters to Oregon.
We landed in our 47th state (Oregon) and just an idea of the level of filth we’ve achieved on this trip. Fred’s feet are the result of four days of walking around in volcanic rock…
Cheesy, I know but it had to be done. We also drove through Sisters, Oregon.
Thanks to the recommendations of friends, we made the effort to visit the food trucks in Portland. It was a hit.
Another recommendation led us to the Japanese Gardens in Portland.
A quick look at our visit to the Japanese Gardens.
Mad love to the folks at Seven Brides for letting us hang out for hours and soak up wifi. With no cell signal at camp, we had to get creative about connecting with the world…
Don’t forget to follow along on your favorite social media outlet…
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Flickr | G+
And now for your moment of green…
Big views, big geology, big winds… Craters of the Moon is a dramatic place.
The Pacific Northwest Tour (2014)