Two weeks into the Pacific Northwest tour and I’m still in the southwest. After Overland Expo, I ventured to Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve where I’ve been hanging out for the last week.
What I’ve been up to…
- 1/2 day driving 220 miles to Great Sand Dunes from Cortez, CO: The drive from Cortez through the San Juans is amazing. Crossing the snowy continental divide then going to desert in a matter of an hour is a surreal experience.
- 6 1/2 days at Great Sand Dunes: I’ve been relaxing, shooting, hiking a little bit… and enduring very volatile weather.
Immersion in the dunes…
This part of the trip is one of the things I’ve been looking forward to rabidly. The weather has been challenging but it’s allowed me to experience the dunes in a whole new way. Being immersed here for a week has given me a new perspective on the rhythms here.
I was hoping to ensconce myself and not have to return to civilization for my entire stay but I did venture to town for bit to catch up on laundry. That and a great dinner seemed a much better bet than sitting in my tent during yet another thunderstorm with no power to accomplish any work and too cold to partake of any hobbies like knitting.
Overall it’s been an amazing week. From the little things like the constant buzz of hummingbirds to the grandeur of storms in the dunes, I’m a very happy nature nerd. More to come as I process the images and video but for now…
By the numbers this week…
- Total Days on the Road: 7 (14 total)
- Miles this Week: 345 (2,450 total)
- States this Week: 2 (AZ, CO) for 11 total
- National Parks & Lands visited this week: 1 (Great Sand Dunes National Park)
- Instagrams: 21 (35 total)
- Time Zone Changes: 1 (5 total)
- Nights in Hotel: 1 (4 total)
- Nights Camping: 6 (10 total)
Highlights in pictures…
Don’t forget to follow along on your favorite social media outlet…
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Flickr | G+
And now for your moment of green…
[gallery_bank album_id=33]div class=”alignleft”>
Great pic of you in the Great Sand Dunes!
Thanks JP! Loving my new camera setup. 🙂